Friday 13 September 2019

Let It Be or Let It Go?


I am a big fan of the Beatles, I loved their songs since I am a teenager. I felt super lucky to live at walking distance to their famous studios in St. Johns Wood, having done thousands of times the iconic crossing at Abbey Road, either by car, waiting for the tourist to mimic the legendary picture or walking it, thinking that one day, I should be doing it myself. Somehow being that close, the crossing felt a bit mine.

At the beginning of my Teen Years, I learned by heart many of their songs, but it was “Yesterday” the one that made me vibrate. I used to sing it everywhere, karaoke, piano-bar or just in the middle of a busy street on top of a bench. Making a terrible figure of myself but, still not caring for a single moment what other people would think and, giving the most of myself in its performance. I must say I was a dreadful singer, but very enthusiastic! That one was the one and only song I ever sang in public.

Last evening my son was doing his homework. He had to listen “Let It Be” to analyse its instrumental music and some other facts about the song. He played it in my phone, full volume and so, we all could hear it. Suddenly, my other son, aged four, decided to sing along “Let It Go” instead, as a kind of war competition trying to be louder than the Beatles and, make the Frozen’s song win.

I was amused that he made the connection, because it just made me realise that both songs titles were so close in a way, with the same structure, cadence and, sharing two words out of three, even, two syllables out of three!  Both were holding a sharp, meaningful message, addressed for moments of trouble but, the similarities stop here, because their meaning is a very different action, sometimes even opposite.

In a more reflective line, I believe that actually both “let it be” and “let it go” were necessary in everyone’s life, like a dualism. It is crucial that you get the best balance between them. The war my little one was playing, it is actually a war we all play in our lives, especially in moments that we have to face change, maybe unexpected, unwanted or, just dramatic change.

I mean, if you think about it, this balance is being played constantly in our lives, but it’s done in a natural way, somehow unconsciously, as we grow and mature. It’s in those difficult moments of change when, finding the right proportion between both it's decisive, although this time, it takes a harder work, it’s quite demanding and yet essential to be able to move to the next step.

-“Which next step?” –you may ask.

It’s not over when you find your balance, you still need another song. This one is not as famous as the others but, it comes from one of our favourite movies, quite inspirational,  passing a clear message to educate kids –and adults- to be environmentally responsible: The Lorax (book available too!).

It was again my oldest who brought it over, last night, after playing the two songs and discussing a bit our taste in music for a while (little one defending firmly “Let it go” as a winner!).

-“Mummy, there is another one of these!”

And he hit it here –nice song-:

Yeah, of course, Let it grow!

“Let it grow, let it grow, you can’t reap what you don’t sow…” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reverse culture shock and mid-age crisis mix-up.

I was back in Madrid. So dry cold in winter and, so hot, and dry, and dusty, in summer. I thought it would be a good idea to come back. We u...