Thursday 29 August 2019

The place in the mountains


If you read my previous entry, you may be wondering where all my furniture went. Why my new place was empty?

Well, you know, shipping from overseas it’s quite expensive. No one was paying us the cost. So, most of my furniture was donated to charities and particulars needing them. Apart from the three things I took to Madrid, I just shipped to our place in the mountains my dining room's furniture, a coffee table and a carpet. 

It’s a beautiful house located, most of the times, just above the clouds, where you see sunsets you cannot even dream about. Close to one of the most beautiful cities of the country (and lively too!).

To reach there, you need to take a road heading south for almost 5 hours, if you consider the terrible traffic to cross Granada. But is an enjoyable trip with stunning views and open landscapes and, when that it’s not enough to entertain ourselves, we play an audio book and listen to it. Hence, except for the constant rhythm and pace of the story teller, it’s at it most a trip in silence, where I can enjoy the views and be alone with my thoughts. Dreaming away as I please.

Of course, there are interruptions, this is real life, remember. Every now and then, my 3 year old, may shout for his life:

-NO ‘TORY!!!! (as per story) and I WANT MUSIC!!!

But most of the time, he sleeps. Bless him! I must admit, we ignore him greatly when he doesn’t and he just travels peacefully without a screen (hate them with all my heart!) or fighting much his older siblings.

So the way is beautiful, the fact that is again the 5 of us is healing, and when I arrive there I really feel home, surrounded by the things that I couldn’t leave behind. 

That place help me so much dealing with the transition. There are many things to liase with when you go back to your original country. One of the most important is that the family concept changes. Well, that is if you are from a Mediterranean country, where family is expansive and involves so many interactions, commitments and big family meals, with three generations seating round the table. It could be a bit overwhelming.  That’s why finding a place –anywhere-to keep being the family you used to be,-a very tight, hard core- family was so important to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reverse culture shock and mid-age crisis mix-up.

I was back in Madrid. So dry cold in winter and, so hot, and dry, and dusty, in summer. I thought it would be a good idea to come back. We u...