Tuesday 10 September 2019

This is not a political blog


I actually hate discussing politics. Please understand it, I come from a Mediterranean country and for a very long time, politics around me have been a joke. No one taking the job seriously and citizens playing it like football hooligans: showing team-support and lots of confrontation with the opposition, yet forgetting to follow up their elected government and the un-fulfilled promises.

Nowadays, it feels like this is going around almost everywhere. Some of the Prime Ministers and Presidents elected kept  me wondering why someone will pick such morons, buy their crap and be satisfied about it? The reality is that no one really is, and most of the time, we just settle in the “least-worse” scenario. Ancient Greece would be soooo disappointed of what this century has made with Democracy.

Coming back to the blog, I call it Brexit diaries, because, as many other non-English-Londoners, I was deeply hit by Brexit’s stroke. I felt the pain the next morning after the Referendum. I was seriously shocked with the result. I still am. 

Further, Brexit has impacted London severely. Lots of families leaving the city: economy isn’t growing, Sterling is down, companies are not taking risks and, there is an overall uncertainty that makes you feel like it would be better if you are not the last one leaving the wrecked ship.

In this way, Brexit has created a lot of Expatish.  Most of them will walk or, are actually going now through the painful road of forgetting such an amazing place and resettling at home, or somewhere else. 

As you may imagine, it was making pressure in our pros and cons list, when we discussed about leaving the city. I must say that list is still accurate, but it has taken many months to digest. I kept saying we did a very reasonable job, looking at every aspect and taking a properly balanced decision, but my heart was not following this process. No. My heart was cornered by reason, but still beating as strong as ever, filling my body with an acute, incisive sadness. 

At least, I learned never to underestimate again my powerful heart, when taking important decisions. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reverse culture shock and mid-age crisis mix-up.

I was back in Madrid. So dry cold in winter and, so hot, and dry, and dusty, in summer. I thought it would be a good idea to come back. We u...