Tuesday 10 September 2019

The British Pub


I remember surfing in the internet looking for menus, going through them and salivating with their dishes.

I remember discovering Sticky Toffee Pudding, after ignoring the dessert for years, since it sounded too naughty.

I remember discovering Bread and Butter Pudding, after ignoring the dessert for years, since it sounded too plain. (I got obsessed with this one!)

I remember trying for the first time Strawberries and Meringue, and believing it was the best combination ever.

I remember my first roasted duck.

I remember going to the channel to enjoy the battered Fish and Chips, but actually truly appreciating the mushy peas and being certain it would be my favourite mash ever.

I remember my first Sunday Roast, with its Yorkshire pudding, the runny meat and lovely steamed veggies with the gravy and, the horseradish sauce, so spicy it tickles your nose.

I remember snuggle up around a rich vegetable soup, a comforting Chicken Pot Pie or anything that actually would fill me up, rich and steamy.

I remember those yummy hamburgers -in the best brioche bun you may think of-, being just the bread itself a path to heaven.

I remember meeting with my office colleagues to enjoy the Friday Fish and Chips around a big table.

I remember sipping my tea (or red!), being hypnotised by the flames in the fireplace during winters, or drinking Pimm’s in the middle of a freshly blossoming spring, celebrating longer days, milder temperatures and, of course, at last, the sunshine.

I remember spending hours chatting while kids running on the gardens, in any spot of England. City or countryside. Asphalt or fields.

I remember our last trip to Cotswolds, our last lunch with friends, enjoying a nice roast, while kids were un-tidying books or trying the table games, and feeling the revelation of  what I should be totally doing once I would be back in Madrid:

Of course, we need the Pub.

The breakfast and brunches, the teas and dinners, the long lunches.

The Pub mania was with me for months, dreaming awake to have my own place to taste all those flavours so much loved and missed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reverse culture shock and mid-age crisis mix-up.

I was back in Madrid. So dry cold in winter and, so hot, and dry, and dusty, in summer. I thought it would be a good idea to come back. We u...