Thursday 29 August 2019

Excuse my English!


Excuse my English!

I am Spanish. My English is not even good. I am writing this blog as well as I am able to, but I feel quite insecure about the outcome. Really. This blog means totally leaving my comfort zone, and I like it and hate it at the same time. As it always feels doing that.

But there is no choice. 

Sometimes the entry flows and, more often that I would like, it’s quite painful having to write in my second language. I am more accurate in Spanish, my vocabulary is broader and my sentences more beautiful. I can play with the words in my native language, pick them, select them with care. You will find here entries poorly written, using constantly same words: it’s not alliteration, it’s my personal limit.

But there is no choice. 

Sometimes the English word that I need is there for me and, sometimes it hides behind the Spanish one. I need to take the dictionary constantly, looking for translation and synonyms. If the poor grammar of my sentences hurts you, believe me, it really hurts me as well. I wish I could do better.

But there is no choice.

I couldn’t write it in any other language because this is a blog to connect with my new land-mates. Not the Spanish, not the English, not anyone that is a 100% citizen.  But actually all of us that have such a mixture that wouldn’t fit here or there anymore, but perfectly belong to the blurry, un-bordered, un-limitless territory of Expatland. 

I guess I am not Spanish any more. I am not English either. I am Expatish. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reverse culture shock and mid-age crisis mix-up.

I was back in Madrid. So dry cold in winter and, so hot, and dry, and dusty, in summer. I thought it would be a good idea to come back. We u...